As early as around the year 1000, Count Eido von Rochlitz had a first parish church built on the site of today’s cathedral. Some parts of the church are still preserved from this time. After the Reformation, the cathedral became Germany’s first simultaneous church (Roman Catholic and Lutheran) in 1524.
Built at the beginning of the 16th century, St Mary’s Church is one of the largest late Gothic hall churches in Saxony, where the Reformation was introduced in 1539. As the church vault was only completed afterwards, the first Evangelical Lutheran pastor was able to influence the painting of the